The hunt is on … For talented Canadian writers to submit their unpublished gems to This Magazine’s annual Great Canadian Literary Hunt. For 13 years this national event has attracted hot new Canadian talent seeking a chance at fame and a $750 cash prize for first place. The top three entries in both the fiction and poetry categories will also be published in a special literary supplement in our November/December issue and gain national exposure. Past winners have gone on to win top honours at the National Magazine Awards, the Journey Prize, and been published by the top houses in the country. Just send your entries in by July 2 and join This Magazine’s tradition of heralding the brightest talent in Canadian letters.
Rules of entry
1. Original, unpublished poems of up to 100 lines and short stories of up to 3,000 words by Canadian citizens or residents are eligible.
2. First place in each category is $750 plus publication in a special literary supplement to the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of This Magazine. Second and third prize in each category is a lovely This Magazine prize pack, plus publication in the literary supplement.
3. Entry fees: $20 for one short story or two poems. Entry fee includes a one-year subscription to This Magazine (current subscribers will have an additional year added to their subscription term). Each additional entry is $5. Entry fees must be paid by personal cheque or money order payable to This Magazine.
4. Entrant’s name MUST NOT appear on the manuscript itself. All entries must be accompanied by a separate cover sheet with entrant’s full name, address, postal code, telephone number, email address, submission title(s) and category.
5. To receive a list of winners, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Manuscripts will not be returned. Winners will be contacted by telephone.
6. Entrants agree to be bound by the contest rules. Judges’ decisions are final.
7. Entries must be postmarked no later than July 2, 2009 and mailed to: THE GREAT CANADIAN LITERARY HUNT c/o This Magazine, 401 Richmond St. W., Suite 396, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3A8
If you have further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or visit our website at this.org